Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Sounds of the Islands

Last year my family and Mr. E took a trip to my dad's home country of Trinidad and Tobago, which is a set of 2 main islands (and several smaller landforms) in the Caribbean off the coast of Venezuela. This was the first trip ever for Brother Elephant, me and of course Mr. E.

The Whole Elephant Family

Arriving in T&T

We had some quality relaxation time on the beach. 



We were able to try regional drinks (Sol) and food (like Roti and Conch & Dumplings).  It may look weird, but that Roti tasted so good!!! You may be able to see the awesomeness of Roti from that pic of Brother Elephant and Mr. E chowing down.





We toured both islands learning so much about Daddy Elephant's childhood and culture while enjoying family time together.



While we were there, we heard a lot of steel drum music which originated in Trinidad and Tobago.

Little kids practicing the steel drums

I thought that it would be awesome to somehow incorporate the steel drums into our wedding as a nod to Daddy Elephant's heritage. Early in the game I requested a quote to have a local group play at the cocktail hour, which ended up being a little out of our price range. So I tabled that idea for a later discussion.

As the months rolled by, I thought more and more about it, and thought that having the steel drums for the ceremony would be something that all of our guests would remember and could be a surprise to my dad (a small token of thanks for all of his monetary help for this wedding). So I reached out to Island Boogie and found out that their price was very reasonable! Here is a you tube video of some common wedding songs played on the steel pan.


Source

I am so excited to work this into the budget and surprise my dad on the big day... let's hope I can keep this secret better than I do with most of Mr. E's Christmas gifts!  Last year was a major fail as I couldn't keep the secret and gave him his gift the day after Thanksgiving.

Are you planning any music forms for your wedding that incorporate your heritage?

1 comment:

Sara said...

Looks like a fun trip!