Tuesday, October 5, 2010

One of my last

As we start winding down this long engagement, I find myself thinking of things in the sense of being my last as a single lady.  My last Memorial Day, my last "fall" (because we all know that Texas doesn't really have a fall season), my last Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I recently had my last birthday!

I was so excited to go on a weekend getaway that Mr. E planned all on his own.  He asked me to give him a handful of destinations that I would like to go to and that was it.  He planned everything from there on out.  This was one of the homework assignments that we discussed during our premarital counseling with Rev. Kristie, and I am so happy that Mr. E took it so seriously.

What makes me even happier about this weekend getaway is that it keeps our birthday road trip streak alive!  Mr. E's birthday is 12 days before mine, and every year since we began dating we have taken road trips, alternating birthday weekends. 


2007- Mr. E's birthday spent in San Antonio



2008 - My birthday in New Orleans (we were evacuated 16 hours after we arrived due to hurricane Gustav)


2009 - Mr. E's birthday in Hot Spring, AR


I was worried that due to our saving for the wedding that we wouldn't be able to get away this year, but Mr. E took charge and planned a weekend away to take a break from wedding plans and just celebrate us!

We traveled to Fredericksburg, TX which is in the Hill Country and the home to several wineries and vineyards.


Mr. E booked a room at a lovely bed and breakfast and surprised me with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a couples massage.


We stomped grapes




Ate delicious food


Enjoyed a couple wine tastings



And came home with a bottle or two.




This weekend also gave us some time to tackle another part of our premarital counseling, reading The 5 Love Languages by Dr. Gary Chapman.



We took turns reading the book out loud while driving and during some downtime in our room.  It was really eye opening for both of us, and I can't wait to find some more time (between Mr. E's busy fall school schedule and full time job) to finish off the remaining chapters.

Side note, how cute is this handmade birthday gift from BM Cali??  She made it as a necklace, but I'm going to put it on a keychain so I can have it with me everyday!



Did you do anything special for any last holidays or birthdays before you were married?

No comments: