Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wedding Playlist

I’m actually jammin’ out to my wedding playlist on my iPod as I write this post (at work, shhh! don’t tell). Yep, I’m at work the day before Thanksgiving, but I will be taking Friday off so it’s all good. I’m lucky to have a job where I can listen to my iPod for the majority of the work day, with the exceptions of meetings and conference calls here and there. So after getting engaged...scratch that, let’s not lie, I created this playlist months before Chris proposed. It contains some songs that are must plays at the weddings, and some other songs that just make me think of love (but don’t need to be played at the wedding). Our next vendor search will be the DJ so I thought a post about wedding music would be appropriate.

I’ve read that it’s best to not give your DJ a long list of songs that need to be played. That they, if they are a good, quality DJ, will know what to play to get the crowd on the dance floor. We will create a short list of songs that we DO NOT want played (which we haven’t’ thought of yet) just to make sure that songs like the chicken dance don’t make it into our reception. Not that I have anything against the chicken dance, but I think it’s better suited for a younger (much younger) crowd.

Although we won’t have a full list of songs to give our DJ, I think a sample set of songs would be wise when meeting with potential vendors. This way the DJ can get an idea of the types of songs/genres that we like and base the reception music around that.

What is currently on my wedding playlist you ask? Well it starts out with first dance song “Good Morning Beautiful” by Steve Holy.



This song came to mind when we first began dating. Since Chris and I lived in different cities, we communicated mainly through emails and texts. It would always make my day when Chris would start the day off with “good morning beautiful”, and after listening to the words of the song I knew it would be perfect for our first dance as husband and wife.

Some other songs on the playlist include songs that we will be using for certain parts of the reception:
- It Takes Two by Rob Base (for the bridal party entrance)
- The Take Over, the Breaks Over by Fall Out Boy (for the bride and groom entrance)
- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole (for the father /daughter dance)
- Your Still the One by Shania Twain (for the anniversary dance)

Some songs that we want played randomly during the dancing:
- Dollar Wine by Colin Lucas (for my dad who was born in Trinidad and Tobago where steel drums were originated)
- Get Low by Lil Jon & the Eastside Boyz (a shout out to my college roomies who are both in the bridal party)
- September by Earth, Wind & Fire (who doesn’t love that song?)
- Baby Got Back by Sir Mix A Lot (cause, it’s true, I got back)
- Celebration by Kool & The Gang (these types of songs will get the older crowd out on the dance floor)

And other songs that just make me think of love:
- I’m Yours by Jason Marz (which may be our last private dance while the guest line up for the send off)
- Kiss From A Rose by Seal
- Real Love by Regina Spektor
- Baby Love by Nicole Scherzinger
- 1,2,3,4 by the Plain White Ts
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- Love You I Do by Jennifer Hudson
- Spend My Life With You by Eric Benet
- Everything by Michle Buble

I can’t wait to party it up on the dance floor!

What type of music are you planning on having played at your wedding?

No comments: