Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Engagement Story, Part II

That morning, Sunday, March 29, 2009, Mr. E said he had to go into work a couple of hours, which isn’t weird since he does work on weekends the majority of the time. I did think that it was weird that he was going to work in jeans and a t-shirt since he normally wears dress pants and button down shirts, but he explained that he was just cleaning up some stuff in the back room so customers wouldn’t see him. I noticed that he was taking a roll of wrapping paper and his carry on bag with him, so I asked if he was going to wrap my anniversary gift while he was at work and he said yes. So off he went, and I continued with my normal Sunday routine

He returned from work, we got ready and met our parents over at the steakhouse.


We had a wonderful meal and before dessert (which was a surprise for Mama Elephant since her birthday was 2 days later) we decided to exchange gifts. I went first, and gave him a card and his gift which was an iPod touch, iTunes gift cards and a case.



Now it was my turn, and I was super excited to see what this “big surprise” was he kept talking about. The first package was the iPod armband that I had hinted out for working out. Next was a very thoughtful scrapbook he had secretly made (with pictures from my laptop) of our two years together. I cried when I got to the last page with was a love letter about how I have changed his life and to get ready for the adventures on the high seas (which I didn’t get at the point, but later would when he explained that he intended to give me the book on the cruise).





For the last box, Mr. E told me I would need to stand up, by this time I knew what was happening and couldn’t stop crying (I’m getting teary eyed as I write this).


He helped me open the box, which contained a custom soup can (to go with our running joke of him getting me soup for Christmas) with a label with his last name that read “Asked your Dad and he said yes, asked your Mom and she said yes, asked my parents and they said yes, asked Aunt Bunny and she said yes. Now I'm asking you....."



He dropped down on one knee and said "I'm going to make this easy on you, will you marry me?" With tears in my eyes, I said "Yes!"



I hope I can prevent that ugly cry face at the wedding


We celebrated with champagne and dessert with our parents, and then made a LOT of calls to friends to share the great news!




We actually drove over to our friends BM Aggie & Groomsman Runner’s house to celebrate with them and ask them in person to be in our bridal party. It was a wonderful night that I will never forget!



I'll have to get better at those ring shots

Was your engagement in front of strangers?

No comments: