Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Name Game

Recently I’ve seen the topic of name changing on a handful of wedding sites. I believe that it is a personal choice for a woman to either keep her name, take her husbands, or come up with a combination of the two names.

I personally don’t think that my last name is the sole factor of my identity. I know that I am who I am because of the way I was raised, and the lessons I have learned about myself over the past 27 years. I can’t thank my family and friends enough for helping to make me the person that I am today. I love my name, and the family history that comes with it, but I can’t wait to take Mr. E’s last name! I’m excited to start a family history with him and share that last name with our kids (down the road).

The Elephant gang in 2009 on formal night of our cruise

If I didn’t have a brother to “carry on” on the family name, I might have legally changed my middle name to my maiden name or give it to our future son as a middle name. My new last name will be less than half the letters of my current name which will make that signature even faster, haha. Unfortunately our kids won’t be able enjoy the beginning of the alphabet like I did, but the middle isn’t that bad right? My mom went from practically the very end of the alphabet to almost the beginning, and I’m sure she loved it when my brother & I were called at the beginning of graduations (allowing for an opportunity to sneak out early LOL).

Even with the hassle of changing my name on all legal documents as well as bank accounts and cards, I still look forward to the day when I become Mrs. Elephant new last name!

Will you be keeping your last name, changing to your husband's or combining the two?

No comments: