Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Great Dessert Bar Item

Due to lack of space in the venue we decided to go for the photobooth instead of the candy buffet. But if we did a dessert bar, and had the time for some homemade goodies these mini cheesecakes would be at the top of my list!

I started making these mini pieces of awesomness when I worked at my first “real world” job out of college. We would have pot lucks every month and this was a way for me to contribute and not kill anyone. I kid, I’m really not that bad of a cook, but I hated to make something and then have to reheat it in the microwave at work, that thing would take forever! I found the recipe online here, and with a few simple ingredients, a mixer (which I didn’t have the first time I made these… let me tell you beating that batter by hand was not fun!) and an oven you too can make these.

Ingredients (I doubled the original recipe to accommodate my work crowd)



Cheesecake mix
- 4 packages of Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1.5 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

For the cheesecake crust I used to go the easy route and just place a vanilla wafer in the bottom, but this time I thought I would try Oreo cookies.

Crust ingredients
- 1 package of Oreo cookies
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter

Other
-2 (21 oz) cans of pie filling
- Cupcake wrappers

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pans with the cupcake wrappers

To make the cheesecake filling, mix together your cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla until it’s light and fluffy. Set aside while you move onto your crust.


I use a chopper attachment to my blender (since I can’t find the chopper blade for my hand mixer) to crumble the Oreo cookie. Oh how I’m looking forward to registering for that kitchen aid mixer! Mix the chopped cookies with 4 tablespoons of melted butter. This will help the crust stay together when baked.


Fill each cupcake slot a ¼ full with cookie crumble mix. Press it down with your spoon to make sure there are no holes.


Pour in some of the cheesecake mix. I would leave room at the top of each wrapper so you can top it off with filling after it bakes.


Bake for 15 mins and remove to cool. While you wait for them to bake, you can enjoy the childhood fun of licking the beaters.


Place a spoonful of pie filling to the top of each mini cheesecake (thanks Mr. E for helping) and then place in your fridge to cool.


I normally left them in the fridge overnight and took them out the next morning to take to work. How cute would these be on a dessert bar at a wedding? I know I would be eating them up!



Are you making any baked goods for your wedding?

No comments: