Thursday, August 4, 2011

Passport To Love: A Caribbean Twist

After our toasts it was time to take a spin around the dance floor with Daddy E to Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World".


I don't know what it was, but the second this song started... 



...and I was in the arms of my father, the tears just started flowing.


I am so lucky to have an amazing relationship with my parents.  They have always been there for both of their children.  They encouraged us to always do our best and reach the potential that they knew we had inside.  They provided for us and afforded us the opportunities that they did not get to enjoy when they were younger. They have always been my biggest supporters, and they continue to be - now for Mr. E and me.  Dancing with my dad was one of those (many) moments that I realized how lucky I am to have the love and support of my parents.

Daddy E was trying to keep it together for the both of us. He sang the words to the song in between telling me how much he loved me and how amazed he was with how everything came together.




I knew I needed to dry those tears because towards the end of the song there was a Caribbean switch.





We had planned a few weeks before the wedding to add a Caribbean twist to our father daughter dance.  This was really to add some of my dad's music into the wedding (since he didn't know about the steel drums for the ceremony).  Daddy E was in his own element.


We told the bridal party in advance so they could help to get the crowd to the dance floor.  This was a very easy tasks for all of our guests from Trinidad and Tobago (the islands that my dad grew up on).




Dollar Wine is a family favorite, maybe because the tape of it (and other Caribbean songs) was always played during our drives from PA to Jersey or New York.



My dad's sister getting down

Breaking it down with Brother E and my dad's other sister

Mr. E getting in on the island love

I love that we were able to add just a little more of Daddy's E heritage into our wedding day, and this was a great way to open up the dance floor and get everyone in on the Caribbean love.

What song will you be using for your father daughter dance?

All photos from Lynn Michelle

Catch up on the Elephant recaps, Passport To Love:

No comments: